CARNEGIE HALL PRESENTS
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 | 8 PM
The Silk Road Ensemble with Yo-Yo Ma
Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage
Formed under the artistic direction of cellist Yo-Yo Ma, The Silk Road Ensemble is a collective of distinguished performers and composers from more than 20 countries in Asia, Europe, and the Americas who are dedicated to celebrating diverse musical traditions and developing a new multicultural repertoire. In celebration of its 15th anniversary, the innovative group returns to Carnegie Hall with a program of works from China, Sicily, England, and the United States. Spanning more than a decade of music, previous commissions and new works by Vijay Iyer, John Zorn, and David Bruce are featured.
- The Silk Road Ensemble
- Yo-Yo Ma, Artistic Director
- ZORN Suite from Book of Angels (NY Premiere)
- ANGEL LAM Empty Mountain, Spirit Rain
- VIJAY IYER Playlist for an Extreme Occasion (NY Premiere)
- GIOVANNI SOLLIMA The Taranta Project
- JIA DAQUN The Prospect of Colored Desert
- DAVID BRUCE Cut the Rug (NY Premiere)
The Silk Road Ensemble performs "Ascending Bird"