Carnegie organizes the Music Hall Company
of New York in March, through which he purchases nine parcels of land along
Seventh Avenue between 56th and 57th streets.
By July, the company had purchased additional lots, William Burnet
Tuthill had taken the job of architect, and excavations had begun. Tuthill, a
cellist and the Oratorio Society treasurer, chose the firm of Adler &
Sullivan of Chicago as additional acoustical consultants, and began his own
planning by conducting an extensive study of the acoustical properties of
European concert halls.
Next entry: 1890 The cornerstone is cemented into place