The board of the Music Hall Company persuades Andrew Carnegie to allow the use of the name Carnegie Hall to avoid the lowbrow connotations associated with the more prosaic Music Hall.

The change reflects what had already become a de facto practice in the press, which referred to “Carnegie’s Music Hall,” “Carnegie Music Hall,” and even “Carnegie Hall” almost from the very beginning.

Next entry: 1894 Eugène Ysaÿe makes his Carnegie Hall debut