Andrew Carnegie and the board approve the construction of a set of artists’ studios, the first of two major additions to the Hall.

Carnegie had always intended the Hall to be self-supporting, but had been making up operating deficits out of his own pocket; these studios were to provide extra income for the building. The mansard roof was removed and replaced with double-height lofts, and a new 12-story building along 56th Street was built.

Next entry: 1896 A second round of additions