The Count Me In afterschool initiative meets the needs of New York City middle-school singers, many of whom have never studied music before and whose schools do not have established choral programs. In the fall, 8th grade students receive instruction and training to prepare them for auditions to performing arts high schools. In the spring, 6-8th grade students participate in an inclusive choral experience designed to build skills and stimulate their passion for music.
Fall 2013 sessions are for eighth-grade students who are committed to auditioning for performing arts high schools.
• Gain valuable experience about how to successfully audition for music high schools.
• Learn the songs and skills required for auditions.
• Connect with choral directors at local high schools and community choirs.
Spring 2014 sessions are for sixth- to eighth-grade students who want to learn how to sing in a choir.
• Learn the basics of how to read music, support your singing voice, and sing in a range of styles.
• Join a community of young singers who share their love of music.
• All students can audition for the citywide Salute to Music program culminating with a concert at Carnegie Hall.
All Count Me In sessions
• take place in your neighborhood
• are free, and transportation assistance is provided
• allow you to earn a Count Me In certificate for your resume.