- Reports To:
- Full Time
Since 1891, New York's Carnegie Hall has set the international standard for excellence in performance, presenting exceptional concerts by the world’s finest artists on its three iconic stages, from orchestral concerts, chamber music, contemporary offerings, and recitals to jazz, world, and popular music. Complementing its performance activities, Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute creates extensive music education and social impact programs that annually serve more than 600,000 people worldwide, playing a central role in fulfilling Carnegie Hall's commitment to making great music accessible to as many people as possible.
As a vital member of the Finance Department, the Assistant Controller will support the financial management of Carnegie Hall ensuring compliance with all standard accounting principles as well as state and local regulations. The position will report to the Controller assisting in the direction of the accounting functions.
We believe a successful candidate for this role will be happy working in a collaborative environment, be a self-starter that is not only able to act with vision but is focused on solutions. A successful candidate will also have a nimble approach to prioritizing their work efforts and be comfortable in a complex and fast-paced environment.
Tasks & Responsibilities Include:
- Oversees, monitors and works to improve accounting procedures, internal controls and database management.
- Audits workflow to ensure that all accounting transactions are processed accurately and in compliance with industry standards
- Reconciles the general ledger and balance sheet
- Monitors the asset capitalization policy and the recording of depreciation
- Conduct account reconciliation and analysis
- Assist in the monthly and yearly closing
- Review monthly bank reconciliations
- Assist in the implementation of FASB changes
- Ensure compliance with all internal controls.
- Contract review as needed
- Review and approve consultant agreements
- Coordinate the annual audit as well as other related audits
- Trains staff on proper procedures
- With input from the Controller, assist with the annual preparation of the IRS 990 report.
- Coordinate the insurance renewal process including updating applications and processing of payments
- Special Projects as requested
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Accounting or Finance
- Professional Certification (CPA) required
- Min. 3 years progressive managerial experience in the financial management of an organization;
- Exposure and experience in non-profit finance desirable
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomatic skills: the ability to effectively liaise with colleagues
- Strong Computer skills: facility with MS Office especially Excel and PowerPoint required, knowledge of MIP accounting system desirable
Carnegie Hall is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Decisions concerning employment are made on the basis of an individual’s qualifications to contribute to meeting Carnegie Hall’s needs, and Carnegie Hall is committed not to discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex (including gender identity, gender expression or status of being transgender), sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, status as a caregiver, status as a victim of domestic violence or sex offenses or stalking, criminal convictions (except where otherwise permitted by law), arrest record, credit history, pregnancy, age, mental or physical disability, veteran or military status, reproductive health decisions, or any other characteristic protected by law.