Watch Engineer - Temporary
- Building Services
- Reports To:
- Chief Engineer
- Full Time
- Job Code:
The Temporary Watch Engineer must be a self-starter and is responsible for the daily monitoring and troubleshooting of the building’s Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Heating (including steam), Venting and Air-Conditioning (MEP/HVAC) systems as well as vertical transportation systems (elevators and escalators), Fire Alarm and Suppression systems, and Building Management System (BMS).
Working under the supervision of the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief and at times communicates via email, text and telephone to the Director of Engineering. This includes data entries for timekeeping, CMMS and future PC applications. Records data such as hours of equipment operation, temperature and pressure, fuel oil consumption, equipment repair status and change of status all in accordance with regulations and Carnegie Hall policies. Records same on round sheets, logbooks, computerized entries, work order systems and reports of any type as required. The Temporary Watch Engineer must be proficient with all tools, methods, and materials including familiarity with electrical and pneumatic controls and computer based building management systems to operate and maintain all MEP/HVAC systems in a safe, clean, and professional manner. He/she must maintain all necessary maintenance logs, worksheets and records tasks during shift. The Temporary Watch Engineer must also serve as a Deputy Fire Safety/Emergency Action Plan Director.
Must be available for shift work and overtime work, including weekends and holidays.
The following physical qualifications are required:
- ability to stand, walk, bend, squat, stoop, kneel, sit, reach, push, and pull as necessary, and to lift a minimum of 40 pounds;
- manual dexterity, auditory and visual acuity; and
- ability and willingness to work in confined spaces with noisy, wet, dusty, and/or high temperature conditions, as necessary.
Other basic requirements include the ability to:
- Read blueprints, schematics, and diagrams;
- take verbal and written instructions;
- work independently and reliably; and
- handle unpredictable situations and emergencies, as necessary.
- proficient with Computer Software Applications such as Microsoft Office and Smartphone applications
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with outside service contractors responsible for repairs and maintenance of Plant Systems.
- Interfaces as needed to ensure that assigned outsourced work is performed properly and efficiently.
- Provides support as requested to facilitate the completion of repairs and maintenance work by outside vendors including starting, stopping and testing of operating parameters of Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing Systems.
- Maintains and follows all established safety and security procedures as required by the Director of Engineering and other Carnegie Hall Leadership.
- Performs any and all other related duties as required or assigned by the Chief Engineer, Assistant Chief Engineer or the Plant Manager.
- Enter and locate work-related information using computers. Perform other reasonable job duties as requested.
- Candidates should be highly organized with excellent written and oral communication skills Prepares requisitions for materials and spare parts as directed.
The following certifications are required:
- Q01 Certification of Qualification for Operating Engineer
- F25 or F58 – Fire Safety Director
- F59 – Emergency Action Plan Director
- Determines work priorities in absence of specific instructions from Chief Watch Engineer,
- Inspects all work for quality, quantity and completeness.
The following certifications are desired:
- CFC Refrigeration Universal Certificate
- S12 – City Wide Sprinkler Systems
- S13 – City Wide Standpipe Systems
- P98 Certificate of Fitness: Super Fuel Piping in Buildings for Generators
- S95 Certificate of Fitness: Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems
- G7 Pesticide Applicators Certificate
- Obtain other certifications as determined by Director of Engineering
The following experience is desired:
- HVAC maintenance, BMS and Fire Alarm experience.
- Familiarity with Siemens Building Management and Fire Alarm systems is a plus.