Aim: What is the shape of a melody? How does a melody move between high and low?
Summary: Students sing and identify melodic contours.
Standards: US 1, 6; NYC 1, 2
Modality: performing, responding, creating
Materials: audio excerpts, student worksheet (Moving Melodies)
Time Required: 20 minutes
- Practice singing high and low pitches through call and response and familiar classroom repertoire; practice tracing the shapes of the melodies with your finger in the air.
- Sing or play different musical excerpts with a variety of highs, lows, and melodic directions. Have students trace the melody in the air as they listen or sing along.
Download Teacher Worksheet
- Look at the melodic shapes on the student worksheet. Have students trace each melodic line with their finger and sing the changes in high and low pitches.
- How does this line move between high and low?
- Can you sing what this shape might sound like?