We’re Still Here
NYO Jazz’s first full-length studio album, We’re Still Here, will be released on all streaming platforms and for digital download on June 24, 2022.
The album—recorded during the ensemble’s summer 2021 training residency at Purchase College, State University of New York, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic—features Carnegie Hall–commissioned works, a range of classic and contemporary jazz repertoire, and works exploring themes that include social justice, resilience, and the power of music to spark joy.
We’re Still Here
Sean Jones, Artistic Director
with Special Guest Melissa Aldana
Featuring Wycliffe Gordon
- A Taste of Honey (Duke Pearson)*
- Pleasingly Plump (Quincy Jones)*
- Oyelo (Miguel Zenón)
- Mr. Jones and Co. (Ayn Inserto; 2019 NYO Jazz commission)
- Bedouin (Duke Pearson)
- We’re Still Here / He’s Alright (Wycliffe Gordon)
- Fête dans la tête (John Beasley; 2020 NYO Jazz commission)
- Mr. Gentle and Mr. Cool (Duke Ellington and Laura Rembert, arr. Reginald Thomas)
- RPM’s (Igmar Thomas; 2021 NYO Jazz commission)
- Run with Jones (Miguel Zenón; 2018 NYO Jazz commission)
- Cute (Neal Hefti)
- I Be Serious ‘Bout Dem Blues (John Clayton)*
- The Art of War (Ralph Peterson)
- Transitions (Sean Jones)
*For digital release only
Produced by NYO Jazz Artistic Director Sean Jones. Recorded at The Performing Arts Center at Purchase College. Engineered by Zach Brown with Adam Hong. Mixed by Zach Brown at The Bunker Studio. Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound.
Melissa Aldana appears courtesy of Blue Note Records.
Wycliffe Gordon appears courtesy of BluesBack Records.
NYO Jazz Lead Donors: Hope and Robert F. Smith, Marina Kellen French and the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Foundation, The Kovner Foundation, and Beatrice Santo Domingo.
Global Ambassadors: Hope and Robert F. Smith, and Maggie and Richard Tsai.
Major support has been provided by the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and Clive and Anya Gillinson, Sarah Billinghurst Solomon and Howard Solomon, and Joyce and George Wein Foundation, Inc.
Additional support has been provided by Sarah Arison, and Bank of America.