NYO Jazz invites young musicians (ages 16–19) to audition for its 2020 season. All application materials must be submitted using an online form administered by Acceptd, a service that provides a digital audition platform to many performing arts schools and programs. In order to start the NYO Jazz application, you will need to create an Acceptd account. (If you already have one, you can start a new application using your existing account.) Once you have created an Acceptd account, you will be able to save your progress at any time. If this is your first experience with an online digital audition service, we encourage you to allow enough time to upload and review the required application videos to make certain they represent your playing as effectively as possible.
- July 2019: Program begins
- Late August 2019: Audition selections posted for 2020 program
- September 6, 2019: Application officially opens
- January 23, 2020: Application deadline
- February 7, 2020: Recommendation deadline
- March 12, 2020: Applicants notified of status via email; audition feedback provided shortly thereafter
- July 2020: Program begins
- August 2020: Audition selections posted for 2021 program
NYO Jazz is accepting applications for the 2020 season on the following instruments:
- saxophone (alto, tenor, and baritone)
- trombone (tenor and bass)
The application for NYO Jazz 2020 will open in September 2019. Please continue to check back for more information on applying to NYO Jazz 2020.
NYO Jazz is a free program.
There is a $30 application fee, payable online via major credit card at the time you fully complete and submit your application. To apply for a fee waiver on the basis of financial need, please email a completed fee-waiver application to firstname.lastname@example.org before you submit your application. Upon approval, we will provide you with a promo code to be entered during the payment step of your application on Acceptd. Fee waiver requests must be received no later than January 1, 2020.
- Audition Videos (details below)
- Biographical Essay: In approximately 200–300 words, describe your background and musical/educational experience, including how participation in NYO Jazz would help you achieve personal or artistic goals.
- Recommendations: You will be asked to enter email addresses for two required references; a third is optional. Each reference will receive a link to an online recommendation form after you submit your completed application. Please note that this email will be sent directly from Acceptd (not Carnegie Hall or NYO Jazz). Your references will have until February 7 to complete and submit their confidential recommendations. References who can address both your personal and musical qualities, such as your music teacher(s) and/or ensemble conductor(s), are preferred.
All applicants to NYO Jazz are required to record a series of audition videos that include the content outlined below. Each performance segment must be recorded in one take with no editing (though you may and should select the best of several takes). All videos must be recorded within six months of the application deadline. Professional equipment and/or studio space is not necessary for a successful application to NYO Jazz. With attention to a few details, your music making can be conveyed using readily available consumer electronics. Many past participants have recorded successful applications using iPhones or other smartphones. Please refer to our Video Guidelines for additional information and suggestions for effectively recording your audition.
Required Video Segments:
- Introduction: Either before your first audition track or as a separate file, please include a spoken introduction in which you state your name, instrument, and hometown.
- Musical Selections: Based on specific details to be provided in late August 2019, you will be asked to record one video for each required tune/style/excerpt for your instrument. If you wish to demonstrate proficiency on a doubling instrument, you must include one or two additional examples. Applicants may perform unaccompanied, with a live rhythm section, or with prerecorded rhythm tracks. A live performance that clearly demonstrates your abilities is also acceptable.
- Video Essay: Please record an answer to one of the following questions:
- What is a non-musical interest or activity that you are passionate about and why?
- What musician (of any genre) most inspires you and why (or how)?
- What is your favorite non-musical creative work (book, painting, poem, movie, etc.) and why does it speak to you?
Musical selections for the 2020 season will be posted in late August 2019.
Citizenship: NYO Jazz is open to US citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) from all backgrounds.
Age Limit: You must be between the ages of 16 and 19 during the summer of your participation. For 2020, this means your birthdate must be between July 1, 2000, and June 30, 2004, without exception. Please note that if you are under 18 at the time that you apply, the consent of your parent or guardian is required.
Grade Level: Starting in 2020, participation in NYO Jazz is limited to high school students within the age range above. You must be enrolled in high school or the equivalent level of homeschooling during the 2019–2020 academic year to be eligible for the 2020 NYO Jazz program. Gap-year students who graduated from high school in 2019 (or earlier) are not eligible.