NYO Jazz Audition Video Guidelines
Your audition video is a key element of your application to NYO Jazz. We realize that access to recording equipment will vary with each applicant, but we do ask that you try to produce the best recording possible. Applicants may perform unaccompanied, with a live rhythm section, or with prerecorded rhythm tracks as an accompaniment. A live performance that clearly demonstrates your abilities is also acceptable.
If you do not have access to recording equipment or space with a piano needed to make an audition video, you may wish to ask if your teacher, school, or jazz band/ensemble program is able to help you fulfill this portion of your application. Should you need additional assistance, please contact NYO Jazz staff at email@example.com or 212-424-2024. We will be happy to work with you to ensure that you have the opportunity to successfully record your audition. For questions about uploading videos, Acceptd offers technical support that you can access at any time while signed in to the NYO Jazz application.
Where possible, we encourage you to keep the following in mind when making the recording.
- Consider lighting, framing, and camera placement. Film in a well-lit space, and be sure that there is more lighting in front of you (rather than from behind). Place the camera so that you, your instrument, and your full range of motion are in the frame at all times; we should also be able to see both you and your pianist during the accompanied work, if applicable. Choose a medium distance that shows as much detail as possible, while still allowing the image to be framed as described above.
- Try to place the camera on a tripod or flat surface when shooting.
- Test the audio level so that there is no distortion during the loudest passages of your selections, while also making sure that the softest portions can still be heard. If possible, consider using an external microphone connected to your camera to record your playing and speaking.
- Prior to recording your audition video, clean and/or adjust your instrument to be sure it is in the best possible condition. You may wish to ask your music teacher or a professional repair person to look at your instrument to assist with any necessary adjustments.
- Other than stopping and starting the camera between segments, no editing of the audio or video is permitted. Applicants whose videos show evidence of any cuts, splicing, manipulation of pitch, or other alteration within a performance segment will be subject to disqualification. Please note the selection of a complete, unedited performance segment from multiple takes is permissible.
- You will be uploading your video files using our online application service (Acceptd). The following common digital formats are accepted. File sizes up to 5 GB are accepted. We recommend using a format and resolution that is consistent with high-quality internet video.
- For ease of recording and uploading, we recommend recording your audition video in segments, which should be uploaded as individual files according to the instructions found within the application. The required segments can be found here: NYO Jazz Audition Requirements.