Kristian Bezuidenhout Beethoven Sonata Workshop
One of today’s leading exponents of early keyboard instruments, Kristian Bezuidenhout leads a workshop in March 2020 for four young professional musicians that focuses on Beethoven’s piano sonatas. Over three days of private coaching that culminates in a public master class and performance, the participants will explore insights into the music of Beethoven and his contemporaries, unlocking technical and interpretive insights that can be gained from a greater understanding of the keyboard instruments and performance practices of the era. The workshop also explores how Beethoven’s music influenced the development of the modern piano.
The workshop is open to both young artists who are experienced fortepianists and those who play the modern piano and wish to expand their perspective. On the final day of the workshop, the invited participants will give a joint recital in Weill Recital Hall, each playing a Beethoven sonata as part of Carnegie Hall’s presentation of Beethoven’s complete piano sonatas during its celebration of the 250th anniversary of the composer’s birth. The recital will also serve as the capstone of a Beethoven Discovery Day led by Mr. Bezuidenhout.
- Application Available: October 15, 2019
- Application Deadline: December 6, 2019
- Recommendation Deadline: December 15, 2019
- Invited Participants Notified: January 15, 2020
- Program Duration: April 1–4, 2020
- Audition Videos: Two unedited performances: One Beethoven sonata (complete) and one Mozart or Haydn sonata (complete)
- Biography (100–150 words)
- Current Headshot/Photograph
- Resume (one page)
- Recommendations: You will be asked to enter email addresses for two required references. A third reference is optional. Each reference will receive a link to an online recommendation form after you submit your completed application. Please note that this email will be sent directly from Acceptd (not Carnegie Hall). Your references will have until December 15, 2019, to complete and submit their confidential recommendations. References who can address both your personal and musical qualities, such as your music teacher(s), coaches, and/or conductor(s), are preferred.
A $15 application fee is required in order to submit your application.
Invited participants are expected to arrive in New York City the day before the workshop begins and depart the day after it concludes. Shared hotel accommodations are provided. Expenses for each participant traveling from outside the New York City area will be reimbursed up to $600 (within North America) and $1,200 (outside of North America).
Kristian Bezuidenhout Beethoven Sonata Workshop is open to pianists ages 18–35.