Black Thought Master Class
Legendary hip-hop artist Black Thought leads a three-day workshop for rising and professional MCs ages 18–35 that culminates in a showcase by the invited participants. Over the course of the workshop, participants will explore the history of hip-hop and examine the technical skills employed by the genre. Invited MCs should come prepared to workshop their music, focusing on lyricism, flow, style, and delivery. Black Thought will equip participants with tangible exercises to improve their overall artistry. This exploration will give participants the opportunity to hone their technical abilities and continue to craft their individual sounds. The workshop will also provide participants with invaluable insight into Black Thought’s outstanding career of more than two decades, as well as opportunities to reflect on how one can achieve and sustain excellence as an artist.
Jump to section:
- Application Open: November 13, 2019
- Application Deadline: December 6, 2019
- Invited Participants Notified: December 18, 2019
- Program Duration: February 3–5, 2020
All materials should be submitted electronically through Acceptd, a digital audition platform for performing arts schools and programs.
- Biography (100–150 words)
- Current Headshot
- Audition Videos
- In a one-minute video, address the question "Why music?” and showcase your lyricism, flow, style, and delivery. You are also welcomed to share this video on your social media channels using the hashtag #CarnegieHallBlackThoughtMC.
- In a video of two minutes or less, tell us how you want to improve your artistry and what you hope to get out of the Black Thought Master Class.
- In a video of two minutes or less, share some of your aspirations and long-term goals as an artist.
The Black Thought Master Class is open to rising and professional MCs ages 18–35. Invited participants are expected to take part in all workshop activities at Carnegie Hall on February 3, 4, and 5, 2020. All participants are responsible for their own travel costs to and from the workshop.