Joyce DiDonato Master Classes
For Opera Singers
April 4–8, 2020
Renowned mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato presents a series of three master classes that focus on opera arias. Four singers will be selected to participate in this set of public events held in the Resnick Education Wing and streamed live online. Additional sessions on breathing, movement, and career development complete the program.
In April 2021, Joyce DiDonato will return for her annual series of master classes.
Jump to section:
- Application Available: September 14, 2019
- Application Deadline: December 15, 2019
- Recommendation Deadline: January 1, 2020
- Invited Participants Notified: by January 30, 2020
- Program Duration: April 4–8, 2020
- Audition Videos: 2 unedited performances – 1 Italian opera aria, 1 non-Italian opera aria. No oratorio, art song, or musical theater should be submitted.
- Biography (100-150 words)
- Current Headshot
- Resume (one-page)
- Written Essay: Applicants will also need to submit a short essay (250 words maximum) in response to the following question: Why do you sing?
- Recommendations: You will be asked to enter email addresses for two required references; a third is optional. Each recommender will receive a link to an online recommendation form after you submit your completed application. Please note that this email will be sent directly from Acceptd (not Carnegie Hall). Your recommenders will have until January 1, 2020 to complete and submit their confidential recommendations. Recommenders who can address both your personal and musical qualities, such as your music teacher(s), repetiteurs, and/or conductor(s), are preferred.
A $15 application fee is required at the time you submit your application.
Invited participants are expected to arrive in New York City the day before the master classes begins and depart the day after they concludes. Shared hotel accommodations are provided. Expenses for each participant traveling from outside the New York City area will be reimbursed up to $600 (inside North America) and $1,200 (outside North America).
Past Master Classes
Lead support for SongStudio is provided by Mr. and Mrs. Anthony B. Evnin and A.E. Charitable Foundation.
SongStudio is part of the Marilyn Horne legacy at Carnegie Hall.
Lead support for workshops and master classes is provided by Beatrice Santo Domingo, and Mr. and Mrs. Anthony B. Evnin and A.E. Charitable Foundation.
Workshops and master classes are made possible, in part, by Mr. and Mrs. Nicola Bulgari.