Chapter Three: Victory
Build the musical accompaniment for the new hook that you created out of your mission statement.
Jump to section:
- Watch the video in which Chen and Asante share their approach to creating a soundtrack for their mission statement.
- Note how they identify the feeling they are trying to create, and then add musical material to support that feeling.
- Open your “Victory Chorus” file in SoundTrap or another DAW.
- Consider the feeling of your mission statement and how you can express it through music.
- Create a mental picture of your mission statement.
- How are your friends a part of your mission?
- How is your community a part of your mission?
- Add instruments and effects to your spoken chorus line to give the music your energy and complete the picture you want to convey.
- This is like your superhero theme song: You get to floss and be as fly as you want to be. Have fun!
Explore Other Parts of Make a Joyful Noize
Introduction: Joy in the Artist’s Calling
In this introductory video, Chen and Asante ask you to create your own artistic mission statement as a way of kickstarting your creative process.
Chapter One: We Got That | Lesson One: Community, Context, and Culture
What is your personal definition of culture, and where do you find joy in your life?
Chapter One: We Got That | Lesson Two: Finding the Heartbeat
Listen deeply to your favorite music and define a musical “heartbeat” that you can use as a seed for your own piece of music.
Chapter One: We Got That | Lesson Three: For the Culture
Create a lyrical hook that expresses your artistic mission statement in music.
Chapter Two: Free Ya Mind | Lesson One: The Art of Collaboration
Chen and Asante introduce the qualities of strong collaborations and ask you to think about your favorite examples of two artists working together to create music.
Chapter Two: Free Ya Mind | Lesson Two: Reimagine and Remix!
Chen and Asante share some of the musical elements of the song “Free Ya Mind,” and ask you to create your own remix of the song using the stems from the recording session.
Chapter Two: Free Ya Mind | Lesson Three: Flip the Script
How would you create your own original backing track to support the first vocal verse of “Free Ya Mind?”
Chapter Three: Victory | Lesson One: The Mission and Rhythm
Chen and Asante demonstrate how to create a song around the ideas and images expressed in a personal artistic mission statement.
Chapter Three: Victory | Lesson Three: Make a Joyful Noize
Chen and Asante demonstrate how to tell a compelling story through song verses and show you how to shape your new song into a finished artistic statement.