Chapter Two: Free Ya Mind
Chen and Asante share some of the musical elements of the song “Free Ya Mind,” and ask you to create your own remix of the song using the stems from the recording session.
Jump to section:
- Watch the video in which Soul Science Lab tracks the evolution of their song “Free Ya Mind.”
- Note where Chen and Asante make specific decisions about how the song develops. How did the tempo, instruments, and harmony change in the process?
- Now that you have a sense of the process that Chen and Asante used to create “Free Ya Mind,” take some of the same building blocks they used and create your own remixed piece of music.
- Select at least four or five audio files or “stems” provided on SoundCloud.
- Open up SoundTrap or any other digital audio workstation (DAW) and drag your selected stems into your new track. Put your own spin on the stems by changing up different elements:
- You could shorten the stems so they sound different.
- You could change up the tempo.
- You could even add other loops or instruments to it.
The most important thing is to make your remix uniquely your own creation.
Explore Other Parts of Make a Joyful Noize
Introduction: Joy in the Artist’s Calling
In this introductory video, Chen and Asante ask you to create your own artistic mission statement as a way of kickstarting your creative process.
Chapter One: We Got That | Lesson One: Community, Context, and Culture
What is your personal definition of culture, and where do you find joy in your life?
Chapter One: We Got That | Lesson Two: Finding the Heartbeat
Listen deeply to your favorite music and define a musical “heartbeat” that you can use as a seed for your own piece of music.
Chapter One: We Got That | Lesson Three: For the Culture
Create a lyrical hook that expresses your artistic mission statement in music.
Chapter Two: Free Ya Mind | Lesson One: The Art of Collaboration
Chen and Asante introduce the qualities of strong collaborations and ask you to think about your favorite examples of two artists working together to create music.
Chapter Two: Free Ya Mind | Lesson Three: Flip the Script
How would you create your own original backing track to support the first vocal verse of “Free Ya Mind?”
Chapter Three: Victory | Lesson One: The Mission and Rhythm
Chen and Asante demonstrate how to create a song around the ideas and images expressed in a personal artistic mission statement.
Chapter Three: Victory | Lesson Two: A Soundtrack for Victory
Build the musical accompaniment for the new hook that you created out of your mission statement.
Chapter Three: Victory | Lesson Three: Make a Joyful Noize
Chen and Asante demonstrate how to tell a compelling story through song verses and show you how to shape your new song into a finished artistic statement.