Digital Music Production
Part Four: Melody and Harmony
Find the perfect hook as you try out different approaches to creating melodies for your new song.
Jump to section:
Your First Assignment
- After watching the video, reflect on different melodies from songs that you already know.
- What is an example of a melody that you connect with?
- How would you describe the feeling or mood that this melody creates?
- What about the melody specifically creates this mood or feeling?
- Login to Soundtrap and open up your original track. Create a new melody for your track and make sure it works well with the notes from the bassline you created in the last session.
- Review this list of key music production terminology that Charles introduced in the video.
- melody: a sequence of single notes that is musically satisfying
- ear candy: upbeat melodies and catchy choruses that you can’t get out of your head
- harmony: the combination of musical notes sounding simultaneously to produce chords and chord progressions
- triad: a set of three notes played simultaneously
- pentatonic scale: a musical scale with five notes
Your Second Assignment
Listen to the ten chords that Charles plays and write down an emotion you feel for each chord:
Your Third Assignment
- Login to SoundTrap and open up one of your drum and bass loops from the previous lesson.
- Add a chord progression or melody to your loop.
- Once you have added both a melody and harmony to your original song, challenge yourself by creating a new four bar loop starting with chords and melody, and then add other elements, including drums, bass, and vocals.
Explore Other Parts of Digital Music Production
Digital Music Production | Part One: Loops
Explore the origins of modern digital music production and learn how to create loops that will form the basis of your original music.
Digital Music Production | Part Two: Drums
Groove along with Charles as he breaks down the parts of the drum set and uses a digital sequencer to create new drumbeats.
Digital Music Production | Part Three: Bass
Establish the foundation of your original piece of music with a bassline that connects with the drums and sets up the harmonic space for your new tracks.
Digital Music Production| Part Five: Arrangement
Put all of your new digital loops together into a structure that tells a compelling story and provides surprises for your listeners.