Ensemble Connect Application Information
The application for Ensemble Connect’s 2020–2022 fellowship is now available. All application materials must be submitted using an online form administered by Acceptd. Applicants who pass the blind pre-screening round will be invited to live auditions March 9–13, 2020 in New York City. Please read the application requirements below before applying.
- December 1, 2019: Deadline to submit online application, including audition materials for pre-screening*
- Early February 2020: Notifications will be sent out to inform applicants whether they have advanced to the live audition.
- March 9–13, 2020: Live auditions in New York City held.
- May 2020: Selected participants notified.
- September 2020: Fellowship begins.
Applicants from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Ensemble Connect welcomes applicants from groups that are underrepresented in the field of classical music.
Carnegie Hall and Ensemble Connect are committed to providing equitable access to learning opportunities. Ensemble Connect welcomes applicants with disabilities who are qualified, with or without reasonable accommodations. If you are an applicant with a disability who needs reasonable accommodations to complete this application, or if you have questions regarding reasonable accommodations, please contact email@example.com.
*The pre-screening listening portion of the audition process will be blind. Panelists will have access to the submitted recordings but will not know names or other information about the applicants.
There is a $75 application fee, payable online via major credit card at the time you fully complete and submit your application to Acceptd.
Applications will be accepted for the following instruments only:
- Trombone (tenor)
- Bass Trombone
Applicants must have earned at least an undergraduate degree or its equivalent by September 2020. A graduate degree is preferred. Fellows may not be enrolled in a degree program with active coursework while participating in Ensemble Connect. International applicants must have graduated from an American educational institution and be fluent in English, both written and spoken. If you are an international applicant, please be sure to read the Visa Information for International Applicants for information about additional requirements and process for participation.
All application materials must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on December 1, 2019. Materials received after the application deadline will not be considered. Pre-screening results will be communicated via email on or around February 3, 2020. Applicants who pass the pre-screening will be notified about live audition procedures at that time. Auditions will take place in New York City from March 9–13, 2020. Please note that we cannot accommodate requests to change live audition dates or times.
Applicants will submit the following materials via the online form at Acceptd.
- Résumé: The résumé must include the applicant’s level of education and training, as well as performance and teaching experience. Please also include the names and contact information of two references whom you give us permission to contact. References on the résumé may be the same or different as the recommenders who will be required for those who advance to the live auditions.
- Short-Answer Questions: This will be an opportunity for applicants to provide additional information about themselves beyond their résumé such as artistic goals or mission, as well as other interests and experiences.
- Please tell us why you are interested in Ensemble Connect.
- Why is Ensemble Connect critical to your artistic/musical growth?
- What is the impact that you imagine being in Ensemble Connect would make on your career?
- Please describe a memorable moment of audience connection that you’ve experienced—either as a performer, educator, student, or audience member. What about that moment was special? How did it influence your perspective?
- Audition Material: All applicants must upload live, unedited pre-screening recording selections that represent their most advanced technical and musical capabilities. (See Audition Material Requirements for Pre-Screening for specific requirements.) The recording selections must include accompaniment (when applicable) and date from within the last two years. The pre-screening round will be blind and therefore we can only accept audio recordings, no video recordings. Excerpts will not be considered unless otherwise stated. Each selection must be uploaded as a separate file and must be named as follows: ComposerName_Title (e.g. “Brahms_CelloSonataNo2.mp3”). Pre-screening material will be evaluated by a panel of top-level professional musicians. The pre-screening panel will remain anonymous until after the pre-screening process is complete. Ensemble Connect has the right to deny a live audition to anyone who does not submit repertoire according to the requirements.
- Recommendations: Two letters of recommendation will be required for applicants who advance to Ensemble Connect’s live auditions March 9–13, 2020. Upon notification that you have advanced, you will be able to login to your Acceptd account to provide the names and email addresses of your two recommenders. Acceptd will contact your recommenders directly at the email addresses you have provided. Recommenders will be asked to upload their letters of recommendation. Recommenders may be the same or different from the references listed on your résumé.